31 July, 2016
17 Crazy Kitchen Hacks You Have To TryPosted in : Hacks on by : EyeOnFood Tags: Kitchen Hacks
1. Throw a quarter of an onion in the same container that you’re storing your avocado in to stop it from going brown.
According to The Kitchn, it will slow down the oxidation process, and it beats throwing it in the fridge on its own.
2. Open a hard coconut by placing it in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes.
After you’ve drilled a hole in the shell and drained the water, putting a coconut in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 400º F should crack the shell and help separate the meat from it.
3. Keep onions fresh after cutting them with a little butter.
This tip comes from Pinterest, and claims that spreading butter on the cut side of an onion will help it stay fresh in the fridge for days.
4. All you need to keep your bananas fresher longer is a little cling wrap.
Just pull the bananas off the bunch, and wrap the ends in cling wrap, and some claim they’ll stay fresh 3-4 days longer than usual.
5. Make two holes in a disposable plate to improvise a lid for your mixer.
You’ll never again make a mess of your kitchen (or yourself) when making a cake.
6. If you overdid it on the salt, turn off the heat and throw a piece of eggplant or potato into your dish.
The eggplant or potato is supposed to absorb the excess salt if you leave it in for about 10 minutes.
7. Place lettuce or spinach in a container and add paper towels to absorb the moisture.
It’ll keep spinach from getting slimy, and should help your leafy greens last about twice as long as they would otherwise.
8. If you bought lettuce with the stems intact, submerge them in a container of water and cover the rest with a plastic bag.
The water keeps the lettuce from drying out and spoiling.
9. If you don’t have any chocolate sprinkles, improvise with a chocolate bar and a potato peeler to create shavings.
Just a few swipes, and you’ll have all the sprinkles you’ll need.
10. Place boiled chicken breasts in an electric mixer on the lowest setting. You’ll shred the chicken in record time without getting your hands dirty.
You can even use a hand mixer, if that’s easier.
11. If you accidentally leave the cereal box open and it goes stale, all you have to do is put it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp it right up again.
Spread it out on a sheet pan and bake it at 375º for 5-10 minutes. Good as new!
12. Drop an egg into a glass or bowl of water to tell if it’s still fresh.
If it sinks and rests on its side, it’s fresh! If it sinks but stands up on its end, it’s a little old. If it floats, throw it out.
13. Prevent mushrooms from losing their flavor by cleaning them with a moist paper towel or a soft brush.
Never run them under tap water. Some people insist that their porosity means they will lose the right consistency and flavor if you wash them that way.
14. Use a little vinegar to remove grease stuck to pots and pans.
Add a little vinegar with water into the pan until it boils. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely before washing with a sponge and detergent. You’ll see how easily the grease comes off.
15. Melt any kind of cheese on your burger in seconds.
Place the slice of cheese on top of the meat after it’s good and brown and add a little water to the pan. Cover with a lid and the steam will melt the cheese in seconds.
16. Make the most of the last of a jar of peanut butter or Nutella by using them as breakfast bowls.
Pour in oatmeal or cereal, add milk, stir, and enjoy.
17. Spray your chopping board or knife with a little lime juice before chopping onions.
Thanks to the interaction between the onion and the lime, it should stop you from crying your eyes out.