4TH OF JULY Flag Cake
Old Glory has never looked better.
YIELDS:10 – 12
COOK TIME:0 HOURS 40 MINS
TOTAL TIME:1 HOUR 0 MINS
2 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. alt
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. whole milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. granulated sugar
HONEY WHIPPED CREAM
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
4 tsp. cold water
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. honey
1 c. raspberries
1/3 c. blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13×9 rectangular pan. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Place butter and milk in large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave until butter is melted, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- Place eggs in stand-mixer bowl with the whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make honey whipped cream: Place stand-mixer bowl in freezer to chill briefly.
- Place water in small microwave-safe shallow bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let stand until gelatin has bloomed (about 5 minutes; mixture will become solid).
- Place bowl in microwave and heat on low for 10 seconds or until mixture dissolves to syrup consistency. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place heavy cream in chilled stand mixer bowl and on medium-high speed beat until thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn mixer to lowest setting and add in honey and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add in gelatin mixture and beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- To assemble cake: Frost cake with honey whipped cream. Create blue corner with blueberries. Stripe cake with strawberries and raspberries.