1 June, 2018
Posted in : Appetizer, Party Food, Recipe on by : EYEONFOOD Tags: Appetizer, corn, How To, party food, PUPS, Recipe, WTF
Whip up mini, carnival-style treats at home.
oil, for frying
1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. beer
1 large egg
1 (12-oz.) package cocktail franks (about 30)
Small skewers or lollipop sticks, for serving
Mustard and ketchup, for serving
- Add enough oil to a small saucepan to come 2″ up the sides and heat to 350 degrees F. Place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cayenne.
- In a 1-cup measuring cup, whisk together the milk, beer and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Transfer the batter back to the measuring cup (it makes for easier dipping).
- Working in batches (about 6 franks per batch), insert a skewer about 1⁄2″ to 1⁄4″ into one end of a frank and dip in the batter, twirling the skewer to coat the frank completely. Transfer to the oil, using a fork to slide it off the skewer. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining franks and batter.
- If desired, stick a small skewer or lollipop stick into the end of each cooked frank. Serve with mustard and ketchup, if desired.