These garlicky, cheesy, Italian sausage sandwiches will easily win over the pickiest of eaters. These are loaded with hot Italian sausage, spicy tomato sauce, tons of cheese and garlic butter in a toasted bun to make the ultimate game day food!
Making the is super easy!
- Brush garlic butter over hot dog buns and bake until toasted
- Load with mozzarella cheese and spicy sausage
- Top with more cheese and broil until it starts to bubble
- Add onions and basil and then EAT!!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely)
Italian Sausage Mixture
- 1 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- ¼ cup red wine
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 4 sandwich or hot dog buns
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- chopped red onion and basil for garnish
How To Make
- For the butter, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use
- For the sausage mixture: brown the sausage in a large pan then add the tomato sauce and red wine. Let it simmer for 15 mins over medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil and salt to taste.
- When ready to serve, slather the butter over the inside and tops of buns. Toast in the oven until slightly browned and butter has melted. Remove from the oven and place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese into each bun followed by the Italian sausage mixture. Then top each sandwich with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place under the broiler under cheese starts to bubble. Remove from oven.
- Top with chopped onions and basil and serve!
Recipe via: LittleKitchenBigWorld