HOW TO MAKE BACON
500g Demerara Sugar
500g PDV Salt
25 Black Peppercorns
25 Juniper Berries
4 Bay Leaves
1. Apply a 1/5 of the rub every day for 5 days. Drain off the excess moisture everyday.
2. On day 6 wash off the salt, pat dry and then clean with malt vinegar
3. Then if in late autumn, winter or early spring you can hang outside. Choose a place that is not in direct sunlight. In the spring you will have to watch out for flies laying eggs. You can cover it with a muslim cloth or a Jamon sack.
4. After 5 days its ready to eat. If you wanna smoke it then hang it for 10 – 12 days. Smoking is next week so tune in.
1. Set fridge at its lowest setting to get its highest temperature of 10c.
2. If you have a freezer compartment at this temperature the ice wont form and water will flow. You will need to make sure this is cleared away regularly so it doesn’t drip on to your bacon.
3. Use a thermo-hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity.