3 August, 2018
How To Make Your Own Vape Juice
How To Make Your Own Vape Juice
In general, it is not a good idea to make vape juice that has non-food grade propylene glycol or glycerin in it. Food grade products must be in containers that are safe and non-toxic, as propylene glycol and glycerine both absorb the chemicals from any of the containers they have ever been stored in. The non-food grade version of these products is meant only to be applied externally. You should never consume or inhale anything with non-food grade propylene glycol or glycerin in it.
For that reason, this recipe calls for only using 100% USP-food grade vegetable glycerin. Not only will it ensure your health and safety, but using glycerin instead of propylene glycol will produce more vapor overall. Blends of both are probably best for E-cigarettes that have juices that are nicotine-based. Some people prefer to buy a product such as EJMix, which has a mixture of Propylene Glycol and Polyethylene Glycol in it. These products are both found in commercial vape juice.
Download THIS free marijuana grow guide at this link and learn to grow your own marijuana
This recipe can also work for non-marijuana herbs, depending on your medical needs and taste preferences. Herbs such as lavender, garlic, mint, milk thistle, tobacco, and others can all be substituted for marijuana in this recipe, and they can also be taken as regular tinctures (under your tongue). While the recipes may vary slightly according to which herb you prefer, the process is nearly the same, so this marijuana-based recipe can still be used with other herbs.
The first step is to decarboxylate your marijuana. This is needed in order convert the THCA to THC. The activation process usually occurs automatically when a plant is burned, or smoked but because e-liquid vaporization temperatures may not get hot enough, decarboxylation can be good idea. Read Decarboxylating Marijuana – The Internal Process of THC Formation and find out how decarboxylating marijuana works.
- 5 grams of pure, blonde, powdered hash or 7 grams of high-quality bud (ground by hand)
- 2-4 ounces of high proof alcohol (180 proof or higher; must be drinkable alcohol; 100 proof is absolute minimum) — vodka is preferable, for its flavor neutrality
- 2-4 ounces of 100% USP-food grade vegetable glycerin
- 2 sterile canning jars and lids
- 1 cheesecloth
- Put the marijuana into the sterile canning. Add alcohol until it covers marijuana by at least one quarter inch. Place lid on the jar, and shake vigorously. If the plant matter absorbs the alcohol and increases in size, add more alcohol.
- Place the jar (still tightly closed) in a dark location for 10-14 days. At least once per day, shake it up vigorously.
- After 10-14 days, strain the mixture through the cheesecloth, and pour it into the second sterile canning jar. Mix in three parts of your 100% USP-food grade vegetable glycerin. Put the lid on, and shake vigorously for a minimum of two minutes.
Adding flavor to your vape juice
The key to safely adding your preferred flavor to the homemade vape juice is to never use artificial coloring. It will likely change color anyway, because of the natural plant coloring, so just leave it as is so that you will not be inhaling any dangerous chemicals.
You should also avoid any store bought flavorings because they also will contain harmful chemicals — including non-food grade propylene glycol, which you just spent so much effort keeping out of your mixture. Don’t ruin it now by adding these harmful ingredients. One big health risk of inhaling oils that have been improperly cured and vaporized is lipid pneumonia, so be very careful.
Some people prefer to use essential oils for their flavorings while others go for the tincture blending route. For this recipe, we will just discuss the method for mixing together different tinctures in order to create the desired flavor.
One way you could mix tinctures for flavoring is to use:
- 3 parts tincture of Cannabis, and 1 part tincture of wild blackberry;
- 3 parts tincture of Cannabis, and 1 part tincture of chocolate mint;
- 3 parts tincture of Cannabis, and 1 part tincture of garlic;
- 3 parts tincture of Cannabis, with 1 part tincture of tobacco; or
- 3 parts tincture of Cannabis, with 1 part tincture of just about anything.
The flavoring depends solely on your personal preferences. In general, when using a vape pen, you will only need about half as much as you would take when using tinctures sublingually. A common dosage for under the tongue is between 3 and 5 milliliters of juice.
Thanks for reading!