Why make baked spaghetti instead of regular ol’ spaghetti with meat sauce? It’s all about that melty layer of cheese on top! If you prefer, slice some fresh mozzarella on top instead.
BAKED SPAGHETTI RECIPE
YIELDS:6 SERVINGS PREP TIME:0 HOURS 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME:1 HOUR
Cooking spray16 oz.
extra-virgin olive oil1
medium yellow onion, finely chopped2
cloves garlic, minced1 lb.
Freshly ground black pepper1 tsp.
(28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes1/2 c.
basil, chopped1 c.
shredded mozzarella1/4 c.
freshly grated Parmesan
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add ground beef, season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain fat in a bowl lined with paper towels and return to pan. Pour in crushed tomatoes and basil and simmer until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with spaghetti, then transfer to baking dish and top with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until cheese is melted and pasta is warmed through, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.