(2-lb.) boneless beef rump roast, trimmed of fat
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 medium onions, quartered
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 (14-oz.) can beef broth
2 large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (about 1 lb.), quartered
2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
1 (16-oz.) pkg. fresh baby carrots
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place beef roast in Dutch oven; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Add onions, garlic, thyme and basil. Pour broth over top. Cover.
2. Bake at 350°F. for 1 hour 30 minutes.
3. Remove Dutch oven from oven. Turn roast over and add potatoes, parsnips and carrots. Cover; bake an additional 45 to 60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. With slotted spoon, remove roast and vegetables from Dutch oven; place on serving platter. Cover to keep warm.
5. In small bowl, combine water, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; blend well. Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Slowly add cornstarch mixture to drippings in Dutch oven, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until bubbly and thickened. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.