MEAT LOAF & MASHED RED POTATOES
Satisfy the meat-and-potatoes eaters in your house with this satisfying dish that all cooks up in one pot! Talk about classic comfort food. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces), cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and 1 cup beef stock. Microwave, covered, on high just until softened, 12-15 minutes. Transfer potato mixture to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine bread and remaining stock in a large bowl; let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, pulse mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add vegetable mixture, eggs, beef, pork, Worcestershire sauce, 1-1/4 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper to bread mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place meat mixture on an 18×12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil; shape into a 10×6-in. oval loaf. Lifting with foil, place in slow cooker on top of potatoes; press foil up sides and over edges of slow cooker, creating a bowl to contain meat loaf juices. Mix together glaze ingredients; spread over loaf.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 hours. Using a turkey baster, remove and discard liquid contained in foil; lifting with foil, remove meat loaf to a platter (or carefully remove meat loaf using foil, draining liquid into a small bowl). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Drain potatoes, reserving cooking liquid; transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Mash, gradually adding butter, remaining salt and pepper and enough reserved cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Serve with meat loaf. Yield: 8 servings.