18 December, 2018
Red Velvet Churros
Posted in : Deep Fried, Dessert, Recipe on by : EYEONFOOD Tags: CHURROS, Recipe, RED VELVET
for 12 churros
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- canola oil, for frying
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a pot over medium-high heat, bring water, sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Add in the flour and the cake mix and stir vigorously until mixture has no streaks.
- Remove from heat and add the eggs, stirring until the dough becomes a ball. Transfer dough to a piping bag with a size 9 star tip.
- Pipe 3 to 4 inches (7-10cm) strips of the dough on a baking sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Fry the red velvet churros for about three to four minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Using a straw, poke a hole through the centers of the churros to hollow out a cavity for the filling.
- On a plate, combine the cinnamon and the sugar and mix until it is a uniform color.
- Roll the hollowed out churros in the cinnamon sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla, stirring until smooth.
- Transfer filling into a piping bag with a round tip.
- Pipe the filling into the churros and serve.