11 January, 2019
RIGHTEOUS RECIPE OF THE DAY – FRIED CHICKEN
Southern Fried Chicken
- 8-9 pieces of chicken
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- canola oil for frying
- 1 TBS Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/2 TBS poultry seasoning I use Chef Paul’s Poultry Magic
- 1 TBS onion powder
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 TBS Accent optional don’t tell me anything about MSG’s!
- Remove excess fat from chicken and place into a bowl.
- Mix the spice blend together and sprinkle half of it on the chicken
- Rub the spices into the chicken evenly
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken (it’s okay if the spices float in the milk. Chill out.)
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. (Overnight is cool too.)
- Pour the flour, cornstarch, and remaining spice blend into a bag, batter bowl, or shallow baking dish.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and shake off the excess. (Don’t rinse the chicken, Crazy!)
- Add the chicken pieces into whatever you’re using and shake or dredge it. Don’t make this difficult.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or frying pan to 350 F
- Carefully place the chicken into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry in batches.*
- Drain the chicken on paper towels or a wired rack
- Allow it to rest for 5-10 mins. before eating or just burn the roof of your mouth. It’s up to you.
*Dark meat takes about 13-15 mins to cook in a deep fryer. 20-25 in a frying pan. White meat takes a little less time. The frying sound with quiet when the chicken is ready. The chicken pieces will also start to float when it’s done. Make sure it’s 165 F internally and the juices run clear. I’m not responsible for you jacks eating raw chicken. Make sure it’s cooked!