Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
Level: Easy Total: 30 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Yield: 4 servings
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 8 ounces each
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, eyeball it
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
8 sliced bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
3 hearts romaine lettuce
2 lemons, juiced
2 ripe avocados, halved and scooped from skins with a spoon, then diced
2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 red onion, chopped
2 cups white cheddar or Monterey Jack, shredded (or blue cheese crumbled)
- Heat a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons oil, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Wash hands. Grill or pan-fry chicken 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- In a small pot, cover eggs with cold water. Place over high heat and bring water to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Set a timer for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, cool eggs under cold running water. Peel and chop.
- Brown chopped bacon in a skillet over medium high heat. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Chop 3 hearts of romaine lettuce and place in a large serving platter or salad bowl. Dress chopped lettuce with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over lettuce. Season greens with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss diced avocados with juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, to retard browning.
- Halve chicken breasts and chop the meat.
- To serve, arrange rows of chopped chicken, chopped hard boiled egg, crisp bacon bits, diced avocado, diced tomato, chopped red onion and shredded cheese on top of either 4 individual portions of dressed romaine or 1 large serving platter.